Cats are curious creatures, and they often like to nibble on things they’re not supposed to…including walnuts. But when your cat does happen to munch on a walnut it’s good to know if walnuts are bad to eat.
So can cats eat walnuts, then?
The simple answer is no.
Juglone, which is a substance found in walnuts, is a common ingredient of lotions and cosmetics. This can cause vomiting, diarrhea and other symptoms in cats. It can even cause death in severe cases. If your cat has eaten a walnut, or you suspect they may have ingested Juglone in some other way, it’s important to seek veterinary attention immediately.
Cats are obligate carnivores. This means that their bodies are built to process animal-based protein. However, this doesn’t mean that cats can’t eat other things from time to time. Many cats love to eat grass and some even like to chew non-food items such as plastic or wool.
While a few nibbles on a walnut probably won’t hurt your cat, it’s best to avoid giving them nuts as a snack. As mentioned before, nuts can be dangerous for cats because they are high in calories and fat. If you’re looking for a safe and healthy treat for your feline friend, stick to cat-safe options like chicken.
Cats are typically known for being finicky eaters, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t enjoy a variety of foods. Cats can eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables.
Grapes and raisins are toxic to cats. However, watermelon, cantaloupe and other fruits make great snacks. Cats enjoy crunchy vegetables such as celery and carrots. There are however, a few vegetables cats should avoid like onions and garlic.
What happens to my cat if he eats a walnut?
A cat that eats a walnut may experience vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain. Walnut poisoning can lead to liver damage and seizures in severe cases.
Cats can also experience lethargy and a lack of appetite. Cats may experience an allergic reaction, which can cause difficulty breathing and swelling of their neck and face. It is important to notify your veterinarian immediately if your cat has eaten walnuts. Walnuts can cause serious health problems in cats.
Is it bad to put salt on walnuts?
In small amounts, salt is not likely to cause harm to your cat, but it’s best to avoid giving them salty foods altogether.
While cats are known for their love of salt, that doesn’t mean that it’s good for them. Cats should avoid salt as much and as often as possible. Salt can cause electrolyte imbalances in cats and dehydration. Dehydration can lead to lethargy, sunken eyes, or dry mouth in cats so watch for these symptoms if you’re worried your cat ingested too much salt.
If you suspect that your cat has eaten too much salt, be sure to watch out for signs of dehydration, such as dry mouth, sunken eyes, and lethargy. If your cat displays any of these symptoms, you should immediately take it to the vet. To prevent further exposure, keep salty foods out of reach.
What about chocolate-covered walnuts?
We’ve already covered that walnuts aren’t a great idea for your cat so it goes to reason that even if chocolate were good for your cat you should still stay away from this snack.
Cats shouldn’t eat chocolate. Chocolate-covered walnuts are a bad idea.
Theobromine, a substance in chocolate that is poisonous to cats, is found in chocolate. Cats can become sick from theobromine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and even death. Although a small amount may not prove fatal, it can make your cat very sick. Chocolate is a tempting temptation for cats. It is important to keep it out reach.
To be clear
Nuts are not good for cats. Although these foods are not particularly dangerous, they are safe for small amounts. There are safer options that your cat will likely enjoy.