Your cat’s diet could also be a factor in his smelly poop. Commercial cat food contains a lot of grains, including wheat, barley, and corn.
Cats are unable to digest grains well. Even though cat food manufacturers make it easier to digest, it can still cause digestive problems. Undigested grains can cause bacteria in the intestinal tract, which is why cats have foul-smelling stool.
Comparison Chart of the Best Cat Foods for Smelly Poop
Continue reading to learn more about the causes of smelly stool in cats and our recommendations for the best food for stinky poop.
The The Best Cat Foods to Make Poopy! Reviewed
#1 Ziwi Peak Canned Cat Cooking
- Price: $0.7/OZ
- Types of food: Wet
- Made In: New Zealand
- Protein: 9% Minimum
- Fat:Min. 4.5%
- High amounts of amino acid
- All natural
- High price
Ziwi Peak originated in New Zealand and is made from grass-fed, free-range 100% lamb sourced from ethical and sustainable New Zealand farms. The Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids in the wild-caught New Zealand Blue Mackerel are high.
This is how this cuisine tastesContains 3% New Zealand green mussels, which are a natural source Chondroitin as well as Glucosamine. This supports joint health.
The food is A chunky loaf style with high levels of all-natural moisture and protein to entice even the most fussy cat.
This cuisine is not healthy. have grains, rice, corn, soy, potatoes, wheat, fillers, sugars, glycerin’s, rendered meals, preservatives, TSPP, BPA, Guar Gum, Agar or Carrageenan.
#2 Vital Essentials Turkey Mini Nibs Freeze-Dried Cat Food
- Price: $1.8/Oz
- Type of Food: Freeze Dry
- Made inUSA
- ProteinMin. 49%
- Fat:Min. 17%
- Made with only limited ingredients
- No by-product meals
- It helps to reduce allergy symptoms
Vital Essentials Turkey mini Nibs Entree-Freeze-Dried Cat Food contains high-quality, protein-rich formulas that are made with real meat.
This limited ingredient food is made up of a unique recipe consisting of the finest natural ingredients enhanced with a precise blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidant-rich raw goat’s milk.
Freeze dried cat food is a good place to start when narrowing down your cat’s Smelly poop.
#3 Small Cat Food
Information about the Product
- Price Range: ~$2.00 – $3.50/ per meal
- Types of foodFresh
- Made inUSA
- ProteinMinimum 21.2%
- Fat: Min.
- If your cat doesn’t like the food, you get 100% back
- Customized meal plan based on budget, cat’s age, health status, and current diet
- No artificial flavors, fillers, grains or fillers
- High prices
- Food must be refrigerated
Smalls is a subscription service that delivers customized cat food to your home. They promise to deliver high-quality ingredients that are human grade in every meal.
They use only the best-quality meats responsibly sourced from sustainable sources and there are no fillers or grains.
Small recipes are prepared in a human grade kitchen that is 100% dedicated to making fresh pet food.
Smalls currently offers three fresh recipes in minced or pate, and can mix and match them according to your cat’s preference. Their food is No preservatives or fillers, no grains, and no artificial flavors
#4 Natural Balance LID Salmon Dry Cat Food
- Price: ~$3.1/ Ib
- Type of Food: Dry [Limited Ingredient Diet]
- Protein: 37% Minimum
- Fat:15% Min
- Limitation on ingredients
- Made with high quality protein
- Every batch passes safety tests
- Some cats won’t eat it
- High price
Natural Balance LID Salmon Dry Cat Food has a limited number premium protein and carbohydrate source. LID Limited Ingredient Diets Green Pea & Salmon Dry Cat Food is an excellent choice when seeking alternative ingredients for your cat.
It contains complex carbohydrates, protein, and green peas. It is a great alternative to grains. Cats with allergies love foods with fewer ingredients. They reduce the risk of your cat being exposed to allergens.
This premium, grain-free cat food is made to support healthy digestion and maintain skin and hair health. It also provides complete, balanced nutrition to adult cats.
#5 BLUE Basics Limited Ingredient Diet Grain Free Wet Cat Food
Information about the Product
- Price: $0.4/Oz
- Type of Food: Wet [Grain-Free]
- Made InUSA
- ProteinMin. 7.5%
- No by products
- High quality protein
- Made with duck
- Very expensive
- Some cats won’t eat.
This holistic natural cat food contains essential amino acids and vital nutrients that cats need every day. This cat food is made with whole grains, including hearty whole grains like barley, brown rice, and oatmeal to provide energy for your cat.
Also includes healthy vegetables and fruits like whole carrots and sweet potatoes, as well as parsley and cranberries. Spa Select is a delicious and healthy way to give your adult cat the balanced nutrition he needs every single day.
BLUE Basics has duck, which is a high-quality protein that is not commonly found in cat food. It also contains potatoes and peas, which are easy to digest carbohydrate sources. You will also find the optimal combination of omega 3 and 6, which can support skin and coat health in cats with food sensitivities or smelly poop.
#6 Instinct Original Kitten Food Recipe Natural Cat Food
- Price: ~$4.5/ Ib
- Type of Food: Dry
- Made inUSA
- Protein42.5% Min
- Fat: 22.5% Min
- Calorie dense recipe
- Probiotics added
- Real chicken is #1 ingredient
- Market average price is higher than market average
Instinct by Nature’s Variety Original Kitten Grain-Free Recipe with Real Chicken Dry Cat Food lists real chicken as the first ingredient. This means you’re providing your kitten with the high-quality protein that helps her grow.
This recipe is made with DHA, a nutrient found in mother’s milk, which assists with brain and vision development.
This dry cat food is a great choice for your kittens’ specific needs and to support their immune system. Instinct by Nature’s Variety recipes contain 0% fillers, meaning all food contains high-quality ingredients.
Causes Of Smelly Poop In Cats
Always read the label for the contents of your cat’s food . You can change to a food that is higher in protein if the cat’s food is high in grains. This may resolve the gas problem. Dry cat food has a higher grain content. Some cat breeds such as the Rex, Sphynx and Ragdoll, are more prone to particular digestive problems.
Sometimes, cats can smell poo. This could be due to food allergies or changes in their diet. Introduce new cat food slowly, especially if you are switching from kittens to adult cat food.
Cat food should not remain out for too long. Cats won’t eat spoiled foods, but they will try it if they feel hungry. Your cat could be gassy from eating spoiled food.
If none of the above are the cause, your cat might be suffering from one or more of the following conditions.
- Irritable bowel syndrome – Commonly associated with chronic inflammation and discomfort of a cat’s bowels, but is typically not directly linked to gastrointestinal disease. Food intolerance and the ability to pass cat food through the gastrointestinal tract could be causes. Mental distress may also play a role in this condition.
- Intestinal virus – Also known as the rotavirus, it causes inflammation of the intestines and in severe cases, dysfunction in the intestinal walls. This virus is the most common cause of diarrhea. gastrointestinal upset in cats.
- Intestinal cancer – An intestinal cancer is an abnormal cell growth or tumor that occurs in the gastrointestinal system. This growth can be benign, or malignant. Malignant growths can be considered cancerous and can lead to serious issues.
- Gastrointestinal parasites – Gastrointestinal (GI) parasites are common in cats, with prevalence rates as high as 45% depending upon the population studied. The parasites can be worm like and cause dull coat, coughing, gas, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody feces, and loss of appetite.
- Pancreatitis – An inflammation or infection of the pancreas. The causes are often not known. Possible causes include decreased blood flow due to dehydration or other diseases, infections, disease, trauma, and so on.
- Intestinal obstruction –Intestinal obstructions are common in young cats. They can ingest foreign objects that could cause obstruction in their intestines. Most objects pass through the intestinal tract and are expelled without any discomfort. However, some objects may remain in the intestines. This can sometimes be life-threatening.
- Dietary sensitivity – Food allergies and/or intolerance are caused by a reaction to a particular ingredient, which is usually a protein. There are two types: reactions where the immune system is involved, causing allergic reactions, and those that occur without an immuno component, causing intolerance.
Although the overall number of cats suffering from food allergies is low in percentage, there are some ingredients which are more common than others. Chicken, beef, fish and dairy are the most common food allergies. The most common is beef, followed by fish and dairy.
These ingredients are not unique except that cats are often exposed to them in their food. qualityThat food is not the most healthy. It is surprising that grains are not common causes of food allergies. Most cats are allergic to animal protein, which can cause digestive problems.
While rare cases of cats being allergic to a particular grain or plant-source, it is less common than animal proteins. Despite the fact that gluten allergies are very rare in cats, many food manufacturers claim that their products are suitable for cats with allergies.